Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Are you experiencing constant headaches and sneezing? Do you feel dizzy and eventually want to throw up? Do you only feel that way when you are at home and it miraculously goes away once you’re outside? These are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – if you are concerned, please see a health professional. Here is some more information about this silent danger.

Even experts cannot detect carbon monoxide with their senses alone - the only way to be certain is to install carbon monoxide alarms.

Even experts cannot detect carbon monoxide with their senses alone – the only way to be certain is to install carbon monoxide alarms.

Studies show that about five hundred Americans die each year due to accidental exposure to carbon monoxide. About eight to fifteen thousand people are diagnosed and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning due to non-fire causes. This survey was done by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Isn’t it scary to think of the figures? No one wants to be part of those statistics. Not to worry though, my company, Pozzi Chimney Sweep is fully equipped with the best chimney sweeps together with top-of-the-line equipment to help minimize these risks. We are here to tell you what the causes are and what you can do to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Mono-what?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless toxic gas that is the result of incomplete combustion. It is the more evil brother of the well-known carbon dioxide. The worst part about it is that it’s hard to diagnose because we and even many doctors think that it’s just the typical flu because of the common symptoms.

It’s really not limited to your fireplace and chimneys alone. Any of the following could be a potential source:

  • Fuel-burning devices and appliances
  • Smoking
  • Things that have internal combustion engines

When there is not enough chimney draft to help in the process of lifting bad smoke out of the house, there is a chance for carbon monoxide to enter and linger in your home.

Prevention is better than Cure

To prevent this from happening in your home, make sure all your fuel-burning devices like stoves and fireplaces are properly vented, swept and cleaned regularly. Also, make sure that you are aware of the symptoms so that once you start feeling them you can go see a licensed physician right away. There are times when you’d rather ignore them—please do not. Carbon monoxide is a serious matter and should not be taken lightly.

The best way is to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed in your home. It’s budget-friendly and it can help you know whether or not your home is already filled with carbon monoxide. Our experts here at Pozzi Chimney Sweep can install that for you. We have the best CSIA-certified chimney sweeps that will guarantee a safe and secure home for you and your family.