Mold in Your Chimney?


The Danger of Molds in your Chimney

Water is, in more ways than one, beneficial to each individual. As a matter of fact, it’s a person’s source of life. There are thousands of ways to acknowledge the importance of water and how it has supplemented the lives of many, but this article tells a different story.

Water in your chimney is something to look out for. Actually, water should not be allowed in your chimney area at all. A simple leak can allow numerous problems to arise because it can serve as a breeding ground for deadly molds to accumulate, grow and multiply.

Moisture not diverted away by a chimney cap encourages the perfect breeding ground for mold.

Moisture not diverted away by a chimney cap encourages the perfect breeding ground for mold.

The FYIs about Molds

If you ever notice unusual looking spots of either green, white or black with a particularly disturbing earthy odor on the walls of your fireplace, that could be a sign of molds that have infested your chimney and are slowly making their way into your home. They can attach themselves to areas where they can feed of moisture. This usually happens in your chimney because water and debris left after combustion in the fireplace make a very scrumptious snack for molds.

Outside the home, this fungus can be of great help; breaking down decomposed organic substances and the like. This is complemented by a combination of humidity and moisture in a particular area. However, molds in the home do the complete opposite of helping and they pose a health threat to those living inside.

The Symptoms

If you think that molds are just there to destroy your chimney structure, you’re dead wrong. It affects your health as well. Exposure to it can cause allergic reactions and symptoms like irritation on the skin and to other areas like the eyes, the throat or the nose.

Other symptoms like cough and headache are sometimes dealt with lightly or completely ignored until it passes because they are common and can be caused by many factors. But in the case of mold exposure, these are not to be taken for granted. Once this is starting to happen to you, be sure to see a doctor immediately. High level exposure to molds can cause permanent damage to your health.

Prevention is Better than Cure

But don’t panic just yet! Do not fear or be dismayed because there is always a solution. There are two things experts would highly recommend:

First, the use of dehumidifiers to regularly check the humidity level in the home and make sure that it is at 40-60%. This will prevent excess moisture from accumulating in any area in the home. This should be strictly monitored most especially during sunny summer days.

Most importantly, regular chimney inspections and sweeping should be done. This will prevent water leaks, moisture and humidity from interfering with the overall functions of the chimney. To solve your problem of chimney molds, call the certified experts of Pozzi Chimney Sweep, Incorporated. They will be able to take out the mold and waterproof your chimney in no time.